My College List: What do I want?
This is an important question. It seems pretty simple, but your answer is going to have a huge impact on four years of your life. When you're looking at colleges and beginning to put a list together, there are a few questions and criteria you should consider. Remember, keep your mind open to various options early on in the process--don't exclude a school just because it doesn't meet every single one of your preferences. When your list starts getting smaller, you can be more selective.
- Would I mind being in the middle of nowhere?
- Do I need the bustle of a city, or the quiet of the country? Is this too much of an in-between for me?
- Would I mind being smack in the middle of a city? Would I mind possibly not having a campus?
- Do I want a classic New England-style campus with old brick buildings and a quad?
- Do I want something super-modern and non-traditional?
- Do I want my campus to consist of city streets?
- Liberal arts?
- Engineering school?
- Technical institute?
- Career school?
- Small college?
- Mid-sized college?
- Large college?
- Small university?
- Mid-sized university?
- Large university?
These are just a few things to think about as you evaluate college options. Remember to be open-minded throughout your search!