Scholarships in Tennessee
No student should have to forego college education because of its high cost. One way to meet financial needs for college is scholarships. Namely, there are many scholarships in Tennessee offered by the state and private donors. All students are encouraged to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form, which helps you to obtain institutional financial aid and introduces you to other federal grants and loans.
- Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship Program (TELS). Students apply for TELS by completing the FAFSA. All students who have been residents of Tennessee for at least a year are eligible to apply for TELS. Some of the TELS program scholarships are:· Tennessee Hope Scholarship
· Tennessee Hope Scholarship for Non-traditional Students
· Aspire Award
· General Assembly Merit Scholarship
· Wilder-Naifeh Technical Skills Grant
· Helping Heroes Grant
· Dual Enrollment Grant
- Ned McWherter Scholars Program. Ned McWherter scholarship is one of the scholarships in Tennessee that is offered to students who display a high level of academic ability. The state and the applicant’s university equally contribute to the award, which is $6,000 per academic year. The applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and a score of 1280 in SAT Mathematics and Critical Thinking or a composite ACT score of 29. The scholarship award can be renewed for three times during a four year program given that the student maintains a full-time student status and a CGPA of 3.2.
- Dependent Children Scholarship Program. The Dependent Children Scholarship Program is a Tennessee scholarship and is specifically designed for dependent children of workers who have passed or who have been disabled while performing employment duties in the name law enforcement, emergency medical service and fire safety. Of course, relevant documentation needs to be submitted along with the application.
- Christa McAuliffe Scholarship Program. This scholarship program is for individuals who display a strong promise for excellence in teaching and inspiring young minds. The award is made in memory of Christa McAuliffe, a high school teacher who lost her life in the Challenger space shuttle accident.
Scholarships by State
- Delaware Scholarship
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Tennessee Hope Scholarship
- Tennessee Lottery Scholarship
- West Virginia