Fact: Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away. Theory: if you’re not going home, you probably still want to celebrate with your friends. The good news is you definitely can feast your way to fatness this holiday season even if you’re stuck at school. We call it “Friendsgiving”. Here’s what you do:
- Cook a turkey — in your microwave. According to the USDA, you can successfully cook a whole turkey in the microwave. Their advice: don’t stuff the bird. Make sure the turkey is under 14 pounds. Microwave it inside an oven-cooking bag for better heat distribution. Allow 3 inches of clearance around the bird. Cooking time is 9 to 10 minutes per pound on medium power. Rotate during cooking.
- Make a no-bake pumpkin pie. It’s easier than you think. Check out this recipe.
- Make it a potluck. Have your guests bring their favorite side dish, dessert, or beverage. The more dishes you have, the better!
- Get help from your guests. It can be a good way to interact, elongate the party, and have fun while preparing. Invite people over early and ask them to help you decorate.
- Play Thanksgiving themed games. You can play Charades and Pictionary with clues such as “pilgrim”, “turkey”, and “harvest”. Also, remember to go around a say what you’re most thankful for!