The smart way to choose student loans
We’ve received a number of questions on how to get a student loan application approved. Listed below are a few basics to keep in mind when applying for student loans.
Some of the information you will need for your federal and/or private student loan applications may not be readily available:
- The amount of your monthly rent or house payment
- Your gross annual income and other tax-filing info. Keep your latest tax return on hand.
- Contact information for references — name, address, phone number
- Social security number, contact and employment information, and tax return info for your cosigner
Keep your cosigner handy.
If you are applying for a private student loan, remember that a cosigner is almost always recommended.
Remember to pay close attention to total cost of the loan.
Each $1 borrowed today can become much more once interest is compounded.
Run the numbers before you apply.
Figure out exactly how much you need to borrow before you go online to apply.
Miscellaneous Student Loan Topics
- Bank Loans
- Be Smart About Private Student Loans
- Before Borrowing Student Loans
- Choosing the Best Loans
- Choosing Private Student Loans
- Choosing the Right One
- Choosing the Right Student Loan for You Video
- College Cost Calculator
- College Loan Rates
- College Loans Parents
- College Savings Plan
- College Tuition Costs
- How to Compare
- Continuing Education Loans
- Credit Score
- Credit Score Student Loan
- Dept of Education
- Education Loan Borrowing Process
- Federal Student Loans Forgiveness
- Federal Vs Private
- Government Loans
- GradPLUS Loan
- Graduate School Funding
- Hierarchy of Loans College on the Cheap
- Hope Education Credit
- Independent Student Status
- Interest Rates
- LIBOR And Prime Rates
- National Student Loan Database
- Parent PLUS Loans
- Paying Off
- Rights Responsibilities As a Student Loan Borrower
- School Loan Interest Rates
- School Loans
- Student Financial Aid Services
- Student Loan Calculator
- Student Loan Lessons Learned
- Student Resources
- The Student Loan Checklist
- Tips on How Much to Borrow
- US Department of Education Loan
- US Department of Education Loan Payment
- US Department of Education Loan Servicing
- US Department of Education Online Payment