End of semester financial tips
In addition to helping you make smart student borrowing decisions, SimpleTuition is dedicated to helping students (and soon-to-be-graduates) with general personal finance questions relating to college. See below for tips to help you get your financial life in order as you wrap up the spring semester. Take this time to do some financial spring cleaning and save yourself a mess come fall.
- Remember to settle up any outstanding balances on your student account. Some schools won’t let you re-enroll for next semester until you pay off any outstanding balances. For graduating students, you usually need to pay off all charges, or you won’t receive a degree and could possibly be denied access to transcripts. Your financial aid office or university business office can help you settle up.
- If you live off campus, remember to clean up the apartment before moving out. It would be nice to get your security deposit back, after all!
- Make sure any paper billing is re-directed to a permanent address, or is set-up for online payment.
- Now might be a good time to line up a part-time job for the summer and fall. Whether on campus or off, get your name and resume in queue for the job you want before the crush of returning students adds to the competition in the fall.
- Resolve to save as much money as you can this summer. Any extra money left over for next semester will take the pressure off the need to borrow.
College Finances and Bills
- College Finances Home
- A Two Month Perspective on Empty-Nesting
- Buying the College Computer
- College Finances - Balance & Budgets
- College Study Abroad Costs
- College Summer Blues
- Deciding to Double Major
- Earning Big Bucks to Pay Big Bucks for College
- Financial Responsibility in College
- Gas Hike Means Accounting for Yet Another College Cost
- How a Divorce Might Affect a College Kid
- Lessons About Paying College Bills
- On-Campus Jobs Help Financially and Socially
- Paying for Study Abroad Programs
- Planning to Study Abroad
- Preparing for next semester finances
- Shopping and saving in college
- Strategies for College Families
- Studying Abroad: Passports, Transportation and Housing
- The College Student's Part-Time Job
- Two Kids, Two Tuition Bills
- We all make mistakes. What purchase do you regret?
- What We Learned From College Student #1, We Hope Will Benefit College Student #2
- Work-study Kind of a Misnomer
- Working Hard for that Extra College Money